Various - Red Hot Rockabilly: Got Rockin' On My Mind
Secret Records releases on 180g LP 16 hard to come by rockabilly tracks including some that were previously unavailable with detailed liner notes.
Many fans of rockabilly and rock 'n' roll over time will have become slightly overwhelmed by the amount of compilations and reissues that are now available on the market containing many of the standard, out of copyright tracks that have become associated with this timeless genre. A lot of these would have been sourced from legendary labels such as Sun, Columbia, King and Decca whilst overlooking many of the smaller, independent labels who were shuffling the genre forward from an underground perspective.
These labels may not have had the big name stars but they certainly supported the integrity and passion that were in many of their performers. John Burton and John Kennedy, the dedicated compilers who put this album together, have attempted to represent these obscurer artists highlighting to rockabilly listeners the vast amount of talent that may have been overlooked.
The tracks compiled for the 'Red Hot Rockabilly: Got Rockin' On My Mind' LP album are the rarest cuts of vintage rockabilly music. To make this vinyl release unique and special, the majority of the tracks are not featured on the CD version and two of the tracks are previously unreleased. One of these, Jimmie Dal's 'Baby Doll' was captured at his father's house in preparation for the studio the next day. The excitement and nerves can be felt through this raggedy take as for a 17 year old at the time, this was an important step in his career. Also of note on the LP are Phil Gray and His Go Boys who apparently sounded so much like Elvis that Colonel Tom Parker (Elvis' manager) bought and destroyed every copy of this release that he could find whilst bribing radio stations not to play it.
Original, authentic and with extensive sleeve notes on the artists featured; this is a valuable look into America's musical history.
1. Gradie O'Neal and The Bella Tones -Turkey Neck Stretch
2. H-Tombs - Sweet Rockin' Mama
3. Larry Dowd & The Rockin' A Tones - Blue Swinging Mama
4. Al Runyon - Baby Please Come Home - (Not on CD)
5. Kenny Smith - Wild Man (Not on CD)
6. Carl Belew - I'm Long Gone (Not on CD)
7. Phil Gray & His Go Boys - Bluest Boy In Town
8. Bobby Lollar - Bad Bad Boy (Not on CD)Side 2
1. Curley Griffin - Got Rockin' On My Mind
2. Orange Ray Hubbard - Sweet Love
3. Jim Foley and The Big Beats - Goodbye Train
4. Billy Wayne - Walking And Strolling (Not on CD)
5. Lloyd Arnold - Hang Out (Not on CD)
6. Jimmy Dale - Baby Doll (Unissued cut) (Not on CD)
7. Darrell Rhodes - Four O'Clock Baby (Not on CD)
8. Bobby Lollar - Honey Bunn Bobby (Unissued cut) (Not on CD)